Physical assault is never ok. Physical assault is when an individual or a group attacks a person physically, with or without the use of a weapon, or threatens to hurt that person. It can include scratching, pushing, kicking, punching, throwing things, using weapons or physically restraining another person. 

Physical assault can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, age or any other characteristic. However, if the assault was motivated by hostility towards a person or group due to a protected characteristic, that is considered a hate crime. Physical assault within relationships, or between family members is classified as domestic violence. 

Physical assault is contrary to the University's Harassment and Bullying Procedure.


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you are on campus, you should tell Security (01483 683333) that the emergency services are on their way and give details of your location.  

Find a safe space: if an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are on campus and this isn't possible you can call Security on 01483 683333.

What is physical assault? 


To a friend or family member: talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

Security: our Security team can talk through how to make a report and what support is available. 

University of Surrey Students’ Union (USSU) can talk students through what options are available and support you through the process.  This support includes attending any meetings with the University. 

Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace. The University of Surrey recognises three campus trade unions: Unison, UCU and Unite. 


Report and Support: students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a member of staff. If you choose to report with contact details, a member of staff will be able to talk through the options and support available.  The University takes every report seriously and carefully considers what action to take. 


Get support 

Take care of yourself. It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Centre for Wellbeing offers confidential help and is open to students. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened